Experienced Will Writing Solicitors
At OGR Stock Denton, our team of Wills Solicitors can help with all aspects of Will preparation and execution. Whether you’re in need of initial advice, you need help drafting your first Will, or you want to make sure an amendment to your existing Will is made correctly and will withstand any potential challenges, our Private Client team can help.
Industry research suggests that over 50% of adults in the UK have no Will in place. Regardless of your age or status or the size of your estate, getting a valid Will is vital. If you have a family, the need to get a Will is of paramount importance, as it is the only legal way to can expressly state what will happen to your child should you pass before they turn 18.
To make an appointment to discuss any aspect of Private Client Law please email or phone 020 8349 0321.
Guiding you through
Will Writing Matters
Guiding you through
Will Writing Matters
Using specialist solicitors for your Will writing
At OGR Stock Denton, our Private Client team offers great value for money, a professional service, and a personalised approach to ensures every single aspect of your Will writing and Will signing is done in complete accordance with the law.
If drafted with the help of an experienced lawyer, it can also help you to reduce your Inheritance Tax (IHT) liabilities and protect your assets. Please note that we can also act as executors and administrators for appropriate estates.
As a firm we also have a substantial amount of commercial expertise, regularly advising company owners who want to set their affairs in order. We take pride in a holistic approach and will consider all aspects of a client’s estate, including their business interests, pensions and assets.
Our Legal Team
- Richard Dentonchris2022-04-26T15:44:15+00:00
- Priti Shahchris2022-04-26T15:41:22+00:00
- Jamie Romerchris2022-04-26T15:38:58+00:00
- Sebastian Cussons-Mercadochris2022-04-26T15:39:26+00:00
- Nicola Levychris2022-04-26T15:37:35+00:00
When Should you Hire a Wills Solicitor?
Wills aren’t just for parents, elderly people, or those who are unwell – they’re beneficial for all adults, at any stage of their lives. Although it’s never something we like to give too much thought to, death is sometimes unpredictable, and a valid Will can make sure any family or loved ones you leave behind have complete clarity about your wishes.
There are many reasons why people engage a Wills Solicitor, including:
- To appoint a legal guardian for your children. Without this, the family courts would determine where your children will go if you die.
- To ensure that any assets you have go to the right people. If you fail to leave a valid Will, the Rules of Intestacy will determine where your money goes.
- To reduce the burden on your family during what will already be an incredibly stressful period for them. Aside from the cost of getting legal advice, there will be additional paperwork, and any delay in the release of any monies could prove to be detrimental to their quality of life once you’ve passed.
- To ensure that assets are left to your partner if you are not married or in a legal Civil partnership. With a valid Will in place, they would not otherwise receive any benefit under the Rules of Intestacy.
- To provide for stepchildren, adopted children, and biological children; and to put money aside for specific reasons, such as university fees or the cost of a car.
- To leave assets or money for non-blood relatives. Without a valid Will in place, this is not possible.
- To confirm an executor for the Will, this needs to be an individual you trust, as they are the person who ensures your plans are handled exactly as you wished.
As local solicitors that do Wills for private clients across London, we’ve helped individuals at all stages of their lives and with estates of varying values. If you are aged 18 or over, then getting a Will in place is important, and we can help you navigate matters with ease.
If you would like to take steps to get your estate and Will in order, call us today for an initial discussion about how we can help.
What happens if you Die Without a Valid Will?
Essentially, if there is no Will or no valid Will in place, the Rules of Intestacy will determine who will benefit from your estate after you die. These are a strict set of rules that apply to anyone, regardless of the value of their estate or who you have in your life at the time.
We’ve written a detailed article that will tell you all about the Rules of Intestacy and help you understand exactly what happens if you die without a valid Will.
Why Choose OGR Stock Denton
When you look for Solicitors that do Wills, you want to know you’re dealing with a team of professionals that add value to the process while delivering good value for money. Our Private Client team handles a range of services, including Estate and IHT Planning, Probate and Administration of Estates, Trusts, and more.
- Trusted and Established Wills Solicitor
- Friendly Team of Professionals
- Superb Value for Money
- Handle Matters Quickly and Effectively
- Excellent Levels of Client Service and Satisfaction
You need to make sure your Will is free from error and that it uses the correct terminology in order to avoid any confusion. Once you die, there are no opportunities to check what your express wishes were; so getting things right the first time around becomes critical.
Ensuring your Will is Legal and Valid
If you’ve already made a Will, you need a new Will, or you need to make changes to a Will; as local solicitors that do Wills, we can help ensure you get a legally valid Will that clearly and correctly expresses your true wishes. Here are just a few pointers about valid Will writing.
- You must make sure it is signed – while this may seem like an obvious step, it is one that arises from time to time; and something that can be easily remedied when you use a professional Wills solicitor.
- Testamentary Capacity – you must be able to demonstrate that you have testamentary capacity at the time you made and signed your Will.
- Unduly Influenced – you must not have been unduly influenced when writing your Will.
- Will Signing – The Will should have been signed in the presence of two independent witnesses*. From January 2020, remote witnessing was brought into law, with an end date of January 2022.
- Choosing the Right Witnesses for a Will is key – If you fail to use the correct witnesses, this could lead to your Will being classified as invalid. If you die, this may cause issues when it comes to executing your wishes. As a general guideline, you should avoid using a spouse or family member, a person under 18 years of age, a beneficiary or spouse/partner of a beneficiary, or a person who blind or partially sighted. The people who serve as your witnesses must also be of sound mind and have the adequate mental capacity to fully understand what they are witnessing.
Aside from this, making sure that somebody knows where your Will is kept is important, and ensuring your Will is kept fully up to date as your family or estate changes is also essential.
We have a related article that goes into more detail about why people hire professional Will Writing solicitors instead of taking the DIY approach. It’s a 5-minute read and could help answer any more questions you might have about local solicitors that do Wills.
Read more reviews and testimonials here
“Dealt with Richard Denton. Extremely professional and pragmatic. A real pleasure.”
“A big thank you to Priti Shah & Nicola Levy of handling my god father’s estate with patience, sensitivity & professionalism. It’s complex works especially dealing with assets from overseas but they have managed it so well. It’s a pleasure to be a client of them & I will continue to recommended them.”
“A big thank you to Priti Shah & Nicola Levy of handling my father’s estate with patience, sensitivity & professionalism. It’s complex works especially dealing with assets from overseas but they have managed it very well. It’s a pleasure to be a client of them & I will continue to recommended them.”
“We have used the services of OGR Stock Denton over recent years, for production of Wills, probate and house sale/conveyancing. On all counts, the service provided has been efficient and professional, and the staff approachable and supportive. Will continue to use OGR Stock Denton for future work as needed.”
“Great service for our wills and POA.”
“I just wanted to drop you a line to say how great Tim has been from the time he joined the probate up until today.”
“ All round brilliant team at OGR. After being badly let down by another solicitor, Priti Shah sorted our parents’ probates quickly and efficiently. She is very knowledgeable and on the ball and structured things in such a way she saved us lots of money. We also had conveyancing done by Ben Menaham which was smooth and hassle free and overseen by Michael Stock. Thank you.”
“Our advisors very highly recommend OGR Stock Denton. They’re not the cheapest in the market but they’re expertise is second to none and they’re one of the best legal firms our advisors have had the pleasure in working with.”
“I dealt with Jamie, and found him a very helpful and pleasant person to work with. He had much patience for our complications and queries, and was always happy to explain everything step by step in a very clear way. I gave him a rough ride, but he made it smooth for me.
I would highly recommend to others!”
“Me and my family where introduced to OGR Stock Denton regarding a number of matters that we needed to resolve. Not only was there a lot of money at stake but this was a dispute that involved family so a lot of emotion too. There was nothing the firm couldn’t do, we loved the fact they had an expert for every area we needed to deal with and they are very good at leveraging their colleagues experience and expertise. With regards to Ian Pearl who was our main point of contact, he was thorough, patient and always one step ahead. He was very good at making things manageable and would keep you informed every step of the way. I don’t think it is unfair to say that without Ian our current position as a family could be very different! We are extremely grateful and cannot thank OGR Stock Denton and Ian for their exceptional work and persistence throughout!”
What Our Clients Say
“A big thank you to Susan Bernstein for her help and support during my redundancy process, you made the legal part stress free and easy to follow. I fully trust your work and will recommend your services in the future.” – Meital
“I owe you a great debt of gratitude for the kind, helpful, empathic way you dealt with me and went about your business at a time in my life when I was suffering huge emotional pain. I did not really understand what was happening to me but you did, and your advice was invaluable”. – Stephen Wiser
“ We completed our home move in June, beating the Stamp Duty deadline by 4 days, and were extremely satisfied with the way the whole selling and buying process was handled by Robert Rosenberg. He was super efficient and communicated with us constantly throughout the process. We highly recommend him. and OHR Stock Denton, to anyone looking for a painless and stress-free experience. ” – Colin
“I called you with a difficult situation and within 30 minutes you had addressed the main issue and very clinically identified what needed to be done. Your attention to detail and your work approach are of such a high standard that i have no doubt whatsoever that any client you deal with will only have good things to say. You are a true ambassador to your firm and your profession, with the care you show and advice you give. I would like to thank you again for the wonderful job you did at such short notice and i have no hesitation in using your services again and recommending your firm.” – Meir
“I would like to say a huge thank you to Winston Kan of OGR Stock Denton LLP for the outstanding work he did on my car accident case. He supported me and my family through the long and exhausting process. There were times when I was ready to give up but he patiently and supportively guided me all the way. All the best wishes from me and my family.” – Hana
“All round brilliant team at OGR. After being badly let down by another solicitor, Priti Shah sorted our parents’ probates quickly and efficiently. She is very knowledgeable and on the ball and structured things in such a way she saved us lots of money. We also had conveyancing done by Ben Menaham which was smooth and hassle free and overseen by Michael Stock. Thank you.” – Monica
“Winston Kan & Michael Stock of OGR Stock Denton LLP have been a great support throughout the process and Winston has demonstrated the highest levels of professionalism and genuine care throughout this difficult process. I highly recommend these lawyers, they are very attentive and honourable.” – Aziza
“I must thank you Ian, and Stephen, for your professionalism though the complex and protracted negotiations and for the support, understanding and patience you have shown me personally throughout.” – Malcolm